Monday, May 30, 2011

In which the sweater almost takes shape

So I was good and blocked the cardigan pieces before seaming, but after seaming it seemed a little bit small... Rather than being impatient and immediately moving onto cuffs and hems (well, I did knit the collar, i can't be expected to wait for everything, can I?), I was good and gave the whole shebang a long wet soak and have laid it out to dry, blocked fairly strictly to measurement. This way I figure I should get a decent idea of whether the perceived shrinking was due to my lazy blocking job, or an unexpected spring back in the knit fabric. If I feel that it's going to be too small, at this point I could still pull out the underarm and side seams (the raglan seams should be fine) and add in spacer panels if need be. I really don't want to, but it's better to know now rather than knit the whole damn thing and have to rip out the hems and reknit everything.

IMG_1556

I think it's starting to look like a real sweater now! and I can't wait to knit the hems, cuffs, and work in all the last secret details...

IMG_1559

There's more left to go than I care to admit, and the blocking has set me behind a few days, but it's The Right Thing to do.

1 comment:

  1. It looks wonderful!!! I do hope it fits then you will have to model it ha.
    I bought a near finished vintage knitted sweater that someone has spent alot of time on and the family threw to the opshop.It hasnt mcu left on it to do and has the needles the wool and the pattern all for $3.50 I just couldnt leave it behind.I think its pure wool too.The sleeves have a bit of yellowing from storage what do you think I should soak then in?

    ReplyDelete

Please include an e-mail address so I can reply privately!